Thursday, March 18, 2010

What am I getting myself into?

So, I have decided to run a half marathon. Crazy? Perhaps.


I have considered it for a while and even began training for a full marathon (26.2 miles) at one point, but I was never really committed to that particular race. It didn't help that the training for that marathon would take place during this past Alaskan-style winter we have experienced. Now, however, it is warming up and at about 70 degrees, it's just perfect! (Keep reminding me of why I'm doing this, however, when it's 80+ degrees and humid!) The most I have ever ran is 7 miles, so I practically just need to double this to 13.1 to complete a half-marathon. Sounds easy! I can handle this! The problem is that I ran those 7 miles back in November. A lot can change in a few months, and though I have been pretty faithful at the gym, it's not the same as running outdoors.


As I tossed around this idea and finally decided to pursue a half-marathon, my friend David asked me the one question that would demand a committment. "Do you want to train for a half-marathon with me?" The fact that I had already made a decision prompted me to say "yes!", rather than "uh, let me think about it." It would have been easy to "think about it" up until it was too late to begin training! Now, however, I'm committed. It's a good thing that I have a lot of determination, because that will be what gets me through to the end of this training! I look at our training schedule and while 3, 4, or even 5 miles seems attainable, I wonder how I will get to the point of running 10+ miles. Or even just 7 miles. Again.


We are using this week for pre-training runs (you know, to get in the habit and to build up to a comfortable 3 mile run), though training official begins next week. It's weird to see the numbers and realize that once we complete training, we will have ran a total of 448 miles in 21 weeks! And since you are technically supposed to replace running shoes after 500 miles, that will be a nice incentive to finish strong! Yesterday, David and I completed 3 miles (comfortably, in my opinion). David was hoping for 6 minutes/mile (only slightly unrealistic :) haha), but our final time of just under 11.3 min/mile is a good starting pace. It was only our second run, after all!


Anyway, there will be times when, undoubtedtly, I will want to give up. Keep encouraging me! I know I can do it! I've got to do it. I'm stubborn and I love the high I feel after a good run. I put on some upbeat music (Kim Walker and Classic Crime are two of my favorite options!) and hit the pavement. It does seem like the first mile is a struggle as I build up to my pace, but once I'm there, I usually feel like I could run 50 miles, easily. Of course, a second later I may want to stop and give up, because all of the sudden I feel that slight pain in my ankle or realize I still have 3 more miles to run! It's mostly a mental game. If I can fight off my anxious thoughts, it will be so much more enjoyable!

I'm sure I'll post more about my running adventures as they come...

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment