Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Another Year Older

I am reminded this week of how many wonderful friends I have! I celebrated my birthday today and people really went all out this year!

Last night, David and I went running and then stopped for a smoothie at Smoothie King. I thought it was slightly odd that he was moving so slowly, that he sat down at the table in an empty smoothie shop, and then instead of talking he was busy texting. I was slightly thrown off, but still had no idea that anything was up. Then, in mid-conversation, he suddenly asks what Jess and I are doing that evening and if he can come over and eat. Now, usually he asks if we need to stop at the store, but that did not happen this time. So, I think for a second and mention making chicken parmesan since I have all of the ingredients. He was out the door practically before I got the words out. I thought he was just really excited about some chicken parm!

We pull in the driveway and there are two white cars parked there. I knew Kelsey was coming over to visit Jess, but I (with my lack of knowledge when it comes to cars), thought that Marissa's car was actually another one of Jess's friends (her friend Carmen also has a white car). I even told David this when he asked who drove the other car. I open the door, thinking it's awfully dark in the living room for two guests to be there, and even though I see streamers hanging up I'm still completely at a loss because of the following chain of events. I see Kelsey sprawled across the kitchen floor, unable to control her laughter. Jess is looking over her laughing. Marissa is standing to the side, I believe looking slightly confused, but also laughing. Kelsey vaguely says "SURPRISE!" between giggles, while Jess yells "HEY!!!". She thought she had yelled "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!", but they were apparantly caught off guard by whatever had happened. I'm not really sure what Gavin was doing. Well, if you've been to my house, you know that there is a front and a back door to my kitchen. It happens that they were hiding between the island in the kitchen, thinking I would be coming in the front door. When they heard me unlock the side door, they tried to move to the other side quickly, but Kelsey tripped and fell flat on her bum. I only wish I had seen it all happen! :) It was so nice, though, because they had a chocolate fountain, a fondue pot with cheese dip, bean dip, and salsa. Then, Jess pulled out the famous, original Dairy Queen ice cream cake! Yumm! We finished the evening off by watching The Proposal.

This morning, I arrived at work to find my cubicle covered in decorations: banners, streamers, balloons, a party hat and extra large button! Hope and Sara went all out! The office gave me a coffee and a muffin for breakfast. Then Donna shared her favorite "you take a toasted whole wheat bagel, spread some hummus on it, top it with onions, tomatoes, spinach, peppers, and add a dash of salt and pepper and OOOH BUDDY" sandwich! Well, she didn't share HER sandwich.. she let me make my own using her ingredients. I even had a student come in and sing to me just before we discussed his fall class schedule!

This evening, Marissa and Jess took me out to a restaurant I've really been wanting to try: Isabella's. I have heard wonderful things about this Italian restaurant! It definitely lived up to its reputation. We had a bruschetta platter... literally. Tomato bruschetta, artichoke bruschetta, olive bruschetta, roasted garlic cloves, goat cheese wrapped in parsley, and fresh mozzarella. It was delicious! Then, we ordered two meals and split them between the three of us so we can try more than one menu item! They were both really good, but I won't go into those details now! But point is, those girls are just so thoughtful! I love them both! :) Jen- when you asked what I wanted to do most for my birthday and I said "GO TO ITALY!", know that that was the closest I've been in that little restaurant! :-D

The downside is I am now home working on homework, but thank the Lord that I am healthy and able to continue my education. I know it's such a privilege! I do have another piece of my ice cream cake and a cup of decaf coffee, with Michael Buble playing in the background, to help pass the time. And since I cannot bring myself to end with the "downside," I should also say that the "upside" is that my dad sent my gift in the mail and I should be getting it tomorrow. That means my birthday is technically extended another day! I wonder how long I can get away with leaving my decorations up in my kitchen and at the office. ;)

Thanks to everyone who wished me a Happy Birthday! I really appreciate the special part each of you play in my lives!

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you had a good birthday!! You deserve it =) Maybe Italy next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pauline Droddy StrickerMarch 31, 2010 at 9:41 AM

    I am so glad you had a great day!! When you get home I have a pretty flowers arrangement for your home. You may pick out one of your choice and not pay a dime. I hope that is special to you.Love you and you are very special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, the story about you walking in, Kelsey on the ground, Marissa looking confused, and Jess yelling "HEY!" instead of "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" made me laugh so hard i had tears in my eyes!

    i'm so glad you have great friends there with you to make your birthday special and to celebrate YOU! i wish i was with you on your birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete